Tips on Selling
WHEN IT'S TIME TO SELL:
- First make some phone calls and ask questions. You could get a good idea of the value of your merchandise by simply describing it over the phone. Prices on bullion items can easily be shopped this way.
- Find someone you feel comfortable dealing with. You want your business kept confidential. Now more than ever it’s important to protect your security and keep your business private.
- Don’t be pressured into selling on the spot. Someone who makes you an honest offer won’t mind if you shop.
- Choose the right dealer. Only deal with a full time professional, not someone in a hotel room or a flea market. These are usually fly-by-night dealers only temporarily setup to make a quick dollar at your expense.
- Find out what organizations they belong to. The Professional Numismatists Guild, www.pngdealers.com, is the most elite numismatic organization. Don’t be afraid to ask for banking or professional references. Any legitimate dealer will be happy to provide them.
- Only accept immediate payment! Avoid anyone that suggests consignment, or needs a second opinion. They may not have the money or expertise to complete your transaction.
WHAT NOT TO DO:
- Do not clean your coins. Like a fine antique, many coins can be more valuable in their original condition. What appears to be discoloration to you may actually be worth a premium for toning to certain collectors. Cleaning or preservation is always best left to an expert.
- Don’t ever tell the dealer you “need money” or “just want to get rid of this stuff.”
- Protect your security. Be cautious, there is no reason to let your merchandise out of your sight.
If you follow this advice it will help you get the best value for your merchandise. If you have any questions please ask.
FLORIDA COIN & JEWELRY, INC.
P.O. Box 15835
Clearwater, FL 33766-5835
Phone 727-669-2646 (COIN) or 813-891-6834
Andrew Pappacoda, President
American Numismatic Association Life Member 3609
Florida United Numismatists Life Member 670
Prestigious Professional Numismatists Guild Member 551